Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Yawns Are Coming Thick And Fast

Man I would kill for some excitement in my life.
I have just finished Day 2 of my stint as a temp (the temp as the other co-workers call me). Reflecting on the two days so far i am worried that I may have to return to this life of a full time office worker. The bleating of the phone, the noise of the photocopier, the way the time seems to go so slow until your escape. Is this monotony my destiny? If it is I can't last another 30 years, i truly can't stand to do it for a week. I feel so tired tonight i didn't go for a walk. I got the yawns at about 3pm this afternoon at my desk; you know the ones that come one after another after another and you have to try to stifle them if anyone walks past. There is no fun in the office. I know that i am only a temp so am an outsider but even the regular staff barely talk to each other except about work. They just sit and type. Or shuffle paper. Or walk from their desk to the photocopier and back. My work involves front desk reception although it does not generate a lot of walk in clients thank goodness, less interruptions. Less interruptions means more time to do the stupid virtual archiving. As in scanning a Manila folder stuff with documents from about 4 years ago and creating a soft copy, labelling it under the specific job number and saving it. It is a constant stop and start; go through paperwork in folder removing all staples and paperclips, get up walk to copier, set copier to email to my desk and scan documents, walk back to desk, open PDF and rename it correct job number before saving. I try to do it in batches yet standing at the photocopier feeding each individual file through is mind numbing; like why can't i be somewhere else. Sure it's supposedly good that I am out amongst people instead of locked away by myself in my bedroom however these people are the most bland, anti social bunch. Not a looker among them.
I am going to sign off now as my eyelids are getting heavy. I hope I don't fall asleep in my dinner.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Cool by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP